Monday, March 9

Life Changing Moment

Saturday night about eight we decided to get our showers out of the way because of a couple of upcoming shows we wanted to watch. I went first without incident and then Butch. He dropped the soap and when he dropped the soap, bending over to pick it up, bumping his head on the built-in shelf, flinched, feet slipped and he fell out of the shower with a hard hit on the metal piece on the bottom ledge breaking his right femur just below his hip. It made a very loud sound. So loud the neighbors heard it and thought it was "The Knocker". Another story, for another time. I did get rattled but finally calmed myself enough to get the first responders called.
The first responders in our park are a group of qualified medical people who come to the aid of anyone who needs it. The number to reach the first responders is on the back of our badges and they are incredibly useful. When we check-in, we are asked to fill out a sheet of medical questions on a form, place it in a red envelope and leave it in an easy to spot location. Our's were on the visors in the front of the motorhome.  The first responders have had over 30 calls in the park this season so far. They determine if an ambulance is needed and in Butch's case there was no doubt so Marcia had me call 911 before she got here. 911 keeps you on the line but Marcia took over when she got here. Her husband meets the ambulance at the gate and leads them to the place. It was quite the event getting Butch strapped to a board and moved out of the motorhome and into the ambulance but everyone involved did an excellent job. I rode in front with the driver. He was very careful trying to make the trip as smooth as possible. We went to McAllen Medical Center ER and they were very busy! Saturday night in the city! They x-rayed him using a portable machine. In fairly short order they had him moved to the 4th floor in room 429. I stayed the night trying to sleep in a very uncomfortable recliner. Neither of us got any sleep. Keny and Mikie Patrick, our next-door neighbors to the north, told me to call them when I needed to come home as I got into the ambulance and so I did. The people in this park are super. I have not found a bad apple in the bunch.
 I planned to spread the help around so I didn't put too much pressure on one friendship. Dave and Liz took me back to the hospital after I got some sleep.  I missed talking to Butch before he went into surgery and I hated that but such as it was, it ended up making the wait time more productive. Butch went to the surgical area at 12:45 pm, into surgery at 2:00 or so, into recovery at 4:30 and into his room about 5:45. Surgery went well. Dr. Lago told Butch he had to fight for a surgery time slot because the hospital doesn't place a broken leg as an emergency.
Butch just called me (9:45 am, Monday) and they have him up in a chair!! He said it went fairly well and yes, it hurt but it was bearable. He was sitting in the chair all the time we talked and it helped both of us feel very hopeful!! They told him to go ahead and use the leg as normal, walk, put pressure on it etc. AMAZING. When it comes down to it Butch has always been a trooper! And healthy as a horse! More later...

No comments: