Wednesday, March 11

Getting better

Butch has been moved to rehab on the 6th floor of the McAllen Medical Center. A private room, number 608 and he will be there for 7 to 14 days. They have new rules from the floor he was on before. No urinals. So he has to go to the bathroom in the bathroom. It is a very nice facility so there is plenty of room. Also, they do not bring your meals to you. There is a community dining area where everyone eats. Most of the people in the region are bilingual but Spanish is their first language so naturally, that is what they fall back on.  That and many of his hallmates have had strokes as well so there isn't much conversation happening. If they would only encourage him a little he would take up the slack.

He is feeling quite well for all he has been through. The only stumbling block thus far is that when he is lying down he cannot lift his right leg. He can wiggle his foot and bend his knee but he cannot do much when the leg is flat and full length. I am sure that is what they will be working on in the coming weeks.
He has not had any pain meds since the day of surgery. He says the only time it hurts is when he moves it and he doesn't think that is a good enough reason to take any as the pain is not okay, but it is bearable. I am very sure he will be a star patient. He always is.

I have had to put on my big girl panties and drive in city traffic. I have found a route where I can avoid the expressway and get there without incident or fear. I have two solo trips under my belt so far. It is a 9-mile trip and I try to time it to avoid busy times.

So far he is getting a good amount of company to break up his day. He is sleeping quite a bit too. Dave and Liz brought him a cribbage board and he and I have played.
It is looking like we may have to stay another month, maybe longer. The good news is we can do that. They said after his hospital therapy he will be having a month of outpatient therapy. We will do what we have to do to make it right

I am still having moments where I can't believe it actually happened.

No comments: