Friday, April 27

TMI?


Last April I sat here in nearly the same position I am now. Last year I had an internet connection sometimes. It was weak and it was slow but it did work enough to get by. I called Verizon on two different occasions and after going through all the hoops they told me, " Someone will get back to you within 48 hours with a solution to this issue. " No one ever did...BUT the connection worked enough to get by so I didn't  call them again. This spring I decided I was not going to live with that and pay for poor service any longer. I have so far had two bouts of tech support at the higher level with no resolution. The second tech support person last monday told me someone will call you with a resolution within 48 hours. No one has called. So I am about to embark on my 5th tech support call
But before I do... I called a company I talked to last winter while in Texas. They offer satellite internet either through them...Exceed is the company name...or through Dish Network.  With Dish it would be Internet only and it would be the cheapest way to go.
With Exceed 7.5G per month
$149.99 Install fee
$ 49.99 per month plus
$9.99 lease fee
Total per month 59.98
Can put it on vacation or what they call a pause fee for $10 a month with a 6 month limit

With Dish Network 10G per month
$99.00 Install fee
$49.99 a month plus
$10.00 lease fee
Total per month $59.99
Can put it on vacation or what they call a pause fee for $5 a month with a 6 month limit

I asked about a gaurantee of a connection and she said the tech guy would not bother to set it up if there wasn't a sattelite signal and  it would be as instantaneous as our satellite TV. She said you will not notice any hesitation when you go from one website to another.

So now we will go get the bottom line from the local telephone company. I will try not to have a chip on my shoulder when I go in the door. My last stop there the receptionist practically threw a phamplet at me and in trying to figure it out on my own the internet was going to cost nearly $600 to set up...$59.99 a month and $35 a month to put it on vacation. I plan to stop in again and ask for more specific information. I will give them a chance to not blow me off. But if they do.....

Jefferson Telephone Company
One time fees of:
$99 Install fee
$15 INS
$69.95 Modem/Router combo

$57.95 per month
Vacation fee is 1/2 the price of the monthly fee.
They were OK at the telephone office.

Called Verizon- the technical engineers are working on the case. They will either cancel my contract or suggest something that will work within the next few days. They are beginning to handle me with kid gloves.

You are able to read this because I am at the other Brookers. The new credit card was in the mail yesterday so I am at the other Brookers making sure the new credit card numbers are on all of the auto pays affected. The bulk of our auto pays come from our checking account. It is a better situation in cases where the credit card is "comprimised".
But a few... I would say 6 at this time are on the credit card.

Oh my, you are finding out so much about how our life works. Fascinating? NOT!!

I am more hopeful today. I hope Verizon gives up on me so we can go with the sattelite as it seems like the best connection for the money.
My life is not the same without the Internet at my fingertips.


No comments: