Wednesday, April 25

Same old story



The replacement Internet device arrived yesterday afternoon. I quickly found out it did not make a difference. So I spent another chunk of time with a tech support person. The first one was male and sounded U.S., this one was female and I suspect in India. At any rate it was determined that I have a 4G device and no 4G signal in our area. Now last year when I was having this problem I was told it would fall back to 3G if 4G was not available. No one is telling me this now. So little miss whatshername in India said she would put a trouble ticket on it whatever that means and someone would contact me as to what they were going to do about it. My guess is an entirely new gizmo with a new 2 year contract and that is not going to be acceptable. I dug out our old Verizon gizmo this morning and if anything it is what we will use. They cannot stick a new contract on us because this device was on an old contract that expired a long time ago. All of this is most likely of no interest to you but it is therapeutic for me to write about it.
So I do not have an Internet connection as yet and not sure when I will have one. So if you are able to read this it means I have been to Leo and Keri's with my computer in hand to use their connection.

I think our neighbors to the north that I have not had time to get acquainted with as yet are moving out.
Oh well, no point in it now.
Yesterday Jason came over to help his dad with a "project". Trouble is we really had not started one yet. But never one to pass up free help they decided to get the duct work under the house put back together. They got it all done except for one little piece. We ordered pizza for supper and I made Rhubarb Pudding with our very own rhubarb from our very own patch. It is rhubarb we moved last year. If it had not been moved it would be underneath where we now park the motorhome. It is thriving in its new location. Okay I have to tell you the whole story. We had a lot of rhubarb to move. So I placed some beside the clothesline thinking that was a good spot. Butch placed a second plot of it on our north lot line. His has flourished and mine has not. It gets more sun where he put his patch. I am not going to quibble about this...the bottom line is we have rhubarb!
Rhubarb pudding is a family favorite. We do not need the extra calories so often in the spring I pass it up. It also can depend on the availability of rhubarb. Many times I would have had to go to extreme measures to acquire it. So last evening I decided to make a batch. Hmmm...hunted high and low for the recipe and could not find it. Jason says," As often as you made it, Mom ,I cannot believe you do not remember the recipe." So I decided to wing it and amazingly I did remember it after a bit of cogitation.



Rhubarb Pudding
4 cups rhubarb, chopped
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 TBLS butter
2 cups sugar,divided
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1/2 cup milk


Place chopped rhubarb in bottom of a 8 x 8 greased baking dish. Dot with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and 1 cup sugar.
Put remaining dry ingredients in a mixing bowl  and stir until dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
Make a well in the dry ingredients and place egg and milk in the well. Stir until completely mixed and pour evenly over rhubarb. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes

In most years the rhubarb would just be coming on about now but everything is about two months ahead and the below freezing temps they had a couple of weeks ago has not seemed to affect things much. The trees are all leafed out and many flowers that we do not see till June are blooming such as iris. Our iris are not up but on my walk today I noticed that many were. I may have done mine in when I weeded the flower bed last fall. If I have, maybe I should give up doing flower beds and rhubarb!!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Today is Jason's birthday. Jason and Laura have plans to attend the Drake Relays later today but first he came over to have breakfat with us and then play golf with Butch. Leo also joined us at the Uptown Cafe for breakfast. I walked home and finished up a book I was reading, washed sheets and made another Rhubarb Pudding.
Do I miss having the Internet? You cannot even fathom how much. A gazillion times a day I say, "I will get online and...."  And then I cannot do it. Frustrating as all get out. Verizon was supposed to call me with their decision as to what they could do. It has been two days now and no call. Every time I decide to approach the neighbors to see if I could launch a deal with them I see them pull out of their drive. I just called one of the neighbors I do know from way back in our youth and they do not even have a computer much less a wireless internet connection. She did not have the faintest inkling of what I was talking about. And she does not know her neighbors! Talk about living in a bubble!

It is confirmed. The neighbors to the north are moving. They sure have taken their sweet time about it but today a poor mans moving van pulled up, an old guy with a truck and a trailer, and they are commencing to load it up with all their worldly possessions.
As you can see I have made my way to the other Brooker's house to use the internet.
Stay tuned to find out my solution to the internet dilemma. I too will be interested to see how this works out...

No comments: