Saturday, February 28

Barb's New Toy

I bought a pressure cooker for $40 from nomorerack.com. My friend Mickey has one and told me it was her new favorite cooking toy. So when I saw the price on nomorerack  I decided to give myself a birthday present. My first recipe try was this one and if you plan to try it with a pressure cooker it is even simpler. I put all the ingredients in at once and pressured it at the lowest pressure for 2 minutes. Could not be easier! I used 2 cups of oatmeal instead of the 1 1/2 called for because I like my oatmeal thick.

CrockPot Recipe for Make-Ahead Apple Pie Oatmeal
(Makes 4-5 servings; recipe created by Kalyn

(I used my small 2.5 Quart Slow Cooker for this recipe, so if you only have a much larger size you'll need to double the recipe.)

Ingredients:
2 large Granny Smith apples, seeds removed and coarsely chopped (no need to peel them)
2-3 T sugar, Splenda, or Stevia in the Raw(depending on how sweet you like it)
1 T brown sugar (or use 1 more tablespoon of sweetener if you don't want to use sugar)
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3 - 3 1/2 cups water (depending on how thick you like your oatmeal)
1 1/2 cup rolled oats (I used Bob's Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled Oats)
milk or soy milk for serving (I used a combination of milk and vanilla soy milk, which is what I always use to eat on cereal.)

Instructions:
Cut apples into pieces and remove the core with the seeds; then chop apples into pieces.  I made the pieces different sizes so some apples would dissolve slightly while others stayed chunky.  (No need to peel them.)

Spray the CrockPot crockery container with nonstick spray.  Then add the apples, sweetener of your choice, brown sugar (or more sweetener), cinnamon, and salt.  Add from 3 to 3 1/2 cups of water, depending on how thick you want the finished oatmeal to be.  Stir together and cook on high for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

My new toy!!
 And my first recipe try!
No I did not eat it with a knife...
It was very yummy! Had to talk myself out of a second bowl!

No comments: