Saturday, September 21

Pumpkin Pudding Cake

Yesterday I declined on making a recipe due to the price of an ingredient. It was not the recipe featured below but it was also a pumpkin recipe- and it called for a tsp. of pumpkin pie spice. At the grocery store a very small container of pumpkin pie spice was $4.79!!! That recipe was not that important!! I am aware that I could purchase the separate spices contained in pumpkin pie spice and make my own mix but I was so gobsmacked I did not even see if that was feasible or if it would have saved me a nickle. Anytime a teaspoon of something will cost me $4.79 cents I will pass on the recipe. Are you with me ladies?
I am thinking of making this recipe however...unless I run into another snafu.

Pumpkin Pudding Cake
    This cake serves 15 or more. It’s rich, so cut it in small portions for a party or potluck. Leftovers should be refrigerated. 

1 box spice cake mix
1 stick butter, melted
1 egg, beaten

15-ounce can pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
4 eggs, beaten
½ cup sugar
2/3 cup milk 

1 cup reserved cake mix
½ cup sugar
½ cup chopped pecans
½ stick butter, softened
Whipped topping
    Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Beat an egg in a mixing bowl and add the dry cake mix, reserving one cupful. Stir in the melted butter and press the  crumbly mixture in a sprayed 9 X 13-inch baking pan. 
    Using the same bowl whisk the pumpkin, 4 eggs, sugar and milk. Pour over the spice cake crust. Mix the second ½ cup sugar with the pecans and softened butter into the reserved cup of cake mix. Sprinkle over the pumpkin filling and bake 50-60 minutes or until the filling is set.  Cool completely. Serve with whipped topping. 

No comments: