Thursday, March 19

Socially Distanced

Since they shut down visitors at the hospital I haven't seen or heard much but will relay some of what I have heard.
The border is still open at Nuevo Progreso but they have canceled Winter Texan Appreciation Day, held each year on March 21st. I think my timing on getting down there (Mexico) and taking a side road with very few people on it was well done. And what puzzles me somewhat is that I did not fine-tune that action. I did it with no conscious thought. Since I am an avoider of crowds in life it was what I would have chosen to do on any day.
From the news: There are still no cases of Covid-19 in the Rio Grande Valley as far as I know. There was a couple from Michigan who had been to Idaho before coming to South Padre Island and then returned to Michigan who found out after they got home that they tested positive for Covid-19. And there was a Mexican businessman who had been on a trip who apparently tested positive somewhere and was self quarantining. Not sure of the details on that one but both had connections to South Padre Island. South Padre Island is 50+ miles from our location.

Yesterday I went to the Main Hall to get the mail and weigh myself. I felt as though I had walked in on a funeral. The mood was somber and sad. They were closing down virtually everything at the insistence of the corporate offices of Wilder. Not sure why the long faces and I didn't ask, just doing my chores and leaving. Most people who are going "home" have left. All activities are suspended except for those done by individuals among friends. I guess there are two ways of looking at it but I feel we are fortunate that we can and will stay put until Butch is able to get us home safely and we have a better knowledge of the situation North of here. Hmmm...just wondered if they will lock up the pool hall. Some of my planning involved going there.

Weighing in: My last recorded weight before yesterday was 153.2 on December 14th. March 18th I weighed in at 150.5. I have successfully settled in with a low carb way of eating. My body has adjusted and is happy with my choices. I pretty much know what I can get by with and when it comes to sugar and starch it isn't much. Jason asked me when it was that I weighed what I do now. As I remembered it I quit smoking in 1984 and at that time I weighed 140 something. And then along came my first computer and the Internet and over the next 5 years I put on 50+ pounds. I like to think that if I knew then what I know now it would have been different but realistically I am not sure. Some things you need to be ready to accept. I am feeling very good. Little to no joint pain. I can cross my legs, trim my toenails and every article of clothing in my closet either fits or is too big. Oh yes, it has been a very long time since I have had an A-Fib episode and I sleep better than I have in years or maybe ever!

No comments: