Thursday, December 20

Bernie's Fruitcake...

Oh...MY...GAWD!!!! It is so delicious! I had not made it in years. Partially because nuts are so expensive and it calls for two cups of two different kinds and partially because of the calories. I prepared it yesterday and the recipe says to let it cool completely before removing it from its ungreased pan and then to wrap it in foil or saran wrap and refrigerate it for a day or two to let the flavors marry. I could not wait two days. I had to know how it turned out.  I baked it in my NuWave oven! Another reason to see how it finished up. I do believe I will go back to making it a tradition regardless of the cost. And I thought of our dear friend Bernie Craig many times yesterday. I could envision him smiling at the idea that I was baking it. Bernie was a special guy. He drove a semi for Ruan for many years and was well over a million miles without an accident when he retired. He had a knack for turning a phrase as well. One I remember well is when he would call in the morning and ask " Has Butch scraped that mattress off his back yet?" Another was " That piece of ground is not worth a thing except to hold the rest of the world together." That Bernie was a special guy!

You really should bake it and make it a yearly tradition at your house too!

No comments: