Sunday, July 6

Bugs for Breakfast

On my ride this morning I had to keep my mouth closed due to bugs. Not an easy feat  while biking. Also I had no desire to dilly dally at the bridge. I had sprayed myself with OFF! but that is limited in effectiveness. Then I read the magnolia blog and Kay V. had posted this recipe for bug repellant. A very timely recipe!
From Kay:
Mosquito repellant 

Citronella--60-70 drops
peppermint--30-40 drops
eucalyptus--20-30 drops
lemongrass--20-30 drops
1 Tablespoon of vinegar
water to fill rest of container.   Use a colored glass spray bottle size 4 ounce

I got my supplies from a health food store; total cost was around $28---sounds expensive, but I have enough to last the entire summer, and to make some for the kids too! After measuring out all those "drops"--the bottles have very little used.  It is easy to make, just turn the bottle upside down and count the drops!  Kay

More from me:
This morning I spotted a Baltimore oriole, a dead mouse and lots of baby bunnies. The baby bunnies can be a real hazard when they get all panicky. I have taken to ringing my tiny bell continuously from quite a distance to clear the trail of baby bunnies. I bet you did not know that baby bunnies could be a biking hazard.

No comments: