Saturday, September 14

Problems Solved-sort of

 Computer problem
The culprit is Google Chrome which I love by the way. It not only freezes up the browser it freezes up the entire computer. But when I use Firefox all works as it should. The online helpers suggested disabling chat in Chrome, which I did but it didn't work. Other advice was changes in the registry which I shy away from because I do not have any confidence in that area. One guy said his worked fine in safe mode with network which indicated it was an extension problem-also beyond my range of knowledge. I would not know which extension or how to change it. Every time I try something and it doesn't work my computer freezes up again so I hesitate to be too aggressive with repair attempts. I recently had my computer cleaned out and except for this issue it works very well.  Oh also, I guess this problem is only on 64 bit computers and that is what I have. As long as I know it is a Chrome problem and I stay away from Chrome, it and me will be okay.

And then concerning credit card compromising...
I am now using secure online numbers for online shopping. I will paste a little ditty in here from Discover card that explains how it works. There a few merchants that it does not work for such as Amazon, Facebook and Ebay.  I use Amazon quite a bit but rarely use Ebay and NEVER would I use Facebook to purchase anything.
I have recurring bills from Verizon, Time Warner and Netflix and they are all now set up with different numbers. And when I make any online purchase from here on out I will use a newly generated number from Discover. If this doesn't stop this compromising business I do not know what will.

Here is how it works...

What is a secure online account number?

Secure online account numbers is a free online service offering you added security by protecting your account number while shopping online. When you make a purchase with a merchant using a secure online account number, the number is assigned only to that particular merchant. Once a secure online account number is assigned, the merchant can use it for your future purchases with them unless you specify otherwise. Some merchants, such as Facebook, Amazon, and PayPal, will not be able to use the same secure online account number multiple times. When shopping with those merchants, you will need to use a new secure online account number each time.
When you use a secure online account number instead of your actual Discover Card number, your account number is not revealed on the Internet or stored in an online retailer’s files. Or course, you also always receive $ Fraud Liability Guarantee so you're never responsible for unauthorized charges on your Discover Card account.
Note: You must be logged into your Discover Card account in order to generate and use secure online account numbers.

No comments: