Friday, October 1

Mother in Laws Tongue in Bloom

Must be a year for blooming! This from friend Bev Meyer :
I WROTE IOWA STATE UNI. AND GOT BACK THIS . FUNNY NO ONE SEEMS TO HAVE PICTURES
CINDY SAYS IT BLOOMS AT NIGHT. This is what I wrote and their answer.

I am Beverly Meyer ,Lewis ,iowa

My daughter lives at Grand lake Colo. When my husband and I were married his mother had a plant

called Mothers Tougue. This was 53 years ago . When she died my daughter got the plant. So who

knows how old it is. This summer it started to bloom. I remember my parents saying they can bloom but very rare. Would like information on this.



Nice plant. This is a Mother-in-Law Tongue or Snake Plant. The scientific name is Sanseveiria trifasciata. It is a wonderful houseplant that is durable and long-lived. While it rarely blooms, they are greatly appreciated when they do send up a flower. I have attached a link to a nice article written by Extension staff in Illinois (sorry – guess we haven’t written anything lately in Iowa about it).


Enjoy your plant!

Cindy Haynes

No comments: