Monday, September 13

Petoskey Rock!

When Butch and I and Tom and Wanda (fellow workampers) went to Mackinac Island we got into a discussion about Petoskey rocks. They are Michigan's state rock and can be found in abundance on the shoreline of Lake Michigan in the Petoskey area. I didn't know what they looked like so I googled them to find out. They have a patchwork pattern on them and it is fossilized coral. They are quite distinctive and eye-catching. I found one today in the reservoir area. I have made a habit of stopping for a few minutes to rock hunt and today was my lucky day. My theory is that if there is one there has to be more!
Click once on the pictures below to enlarge them, then click again for an even larger look.

Petoskey Rock

Google Petoskey Rock Images to see what others look like.
Or click on the link above.
I need to polish mine now.

No comments: