Saturday, August 6

Helpful Resource

 As many of you know I taught beginning computer classes for many years, both at the senior center I managed in Cumberland IA and at the park in Texas we went to for nearly 20 years. My beginnings in the computing world began way back in 1998. That's a guess. I went to Colorado, along in those years somewhere, to visit my friend Mickey who then was working for the federal government in a computing capacity. She was working while I was there and so I was left with her computer at her home while she was working. She showed me some basic things about it and assured me I could not mess it up bad enough that she couldn't fix it and I took her at her word. My son Gary had tried before to get me interested in having a computer but I couldn't grasp the need...until the Internet and that is where Mickey's focus was. So it all clicked into place. It wasn't long after returning to Iowa that I ordered a computer from Gateway. Remember Gateway?  I sure do because along with a purchase they offered 24/7 tech support and I thoroughly used it! I remember taking my computer apart, and phone to my ear to get the info I needed for the next step. I remember adding more RAM more than once. I did not know at the time, the million or so ways that a computer and more importantly the Internet (netins.net) would change my life. I connected to the Internet through the local phone company. Due to my interest, the phone company sent me to DesMoines for instructions from Netins about the Internet and how it all worked. I was then off and running! 

One of the aspects in my early roaming around the internet was finding stationery for email. I thought it was way cool and used it all the time. And that was my introduction to:   https://www.thundercloud.net/infoave/new/  and Cloudeight Info Ave. And this brings me to today's entry of their beginning intertwined with mine.

Check it out: https://www.thundercloud.net/infoave/new/the-real-history-of-tc-and-eb/

When I have a problem with my Computer/Internet, this is where I go. When someone asks me for computer-related assistance and I know it is beyond my skill level, this is where I point them. They are inexpensive, knowledgeable, and tenacious in getting the job done.

PS: This is also where I get my anti-malware/antivirus protection too. None better and the price is right.

https://thundercloud.net/emsisoft/

No comments: