Sunday, February 21

Another Day of Sunshine

 When we awoke this morning to sunshine it was a welcome sight despite the fact it was a crisp 33 degrees. It warmed quickly with our friendly sun helping out and I currently have the door open enjoying 68 degrees.

The vegetation is sad and I will try to get some photos. Having been through this before in south Texas I can say with certainty the plants will recover and by up north standards, it will happen rather quickly. By the beginning of next season, you will see no sign of the current distress. I took a closer look at my Christmas Cactus and I can indeed see life in a few places. Now I will have to keep the rabbits away to preserve the life that is left. I cut off the parts that were obviously frozen. 



We haven't been to the grocery store yet but what we hear is that many of the shelves are bare and not necessarily from hoarding. After all, the grocery stores too were without electricity for an extended period of time. Things were either thawing out or freezing and different products having different needs create a much bigger problem. By law, they cannot sell things that require freezing if they have thawed or been without refrigeration for too long. And then produce would freeze when it shouldn't and nobody wants to buy limp veggies. So the stores have really been in a no-win situation.  Contrary to some opinions this situation should not be blamed on locals "stocking up".

More Pics later


No comments: