Sunday, December 3

New Computer Adventures

Okay, it has been 8 years since I have dealt with setting up a new computer and I am pleasantly surprised to find that I have done a thing or two in the past 8 years to make the transition easy.
First thing I did several years ago was started using a password saving program. There are a few of them out there and my choice is Lastpass. I pay for the premium edition but I did use it for years with the free version. Once you download and install the program you set up a master password. Lastpass does not know your master password so you must be sure to keep it so that you do know it. You can change it yourself but they cannot do it for you or even help you with it. When you are on a new website and make a password for it, Lastpass will ask you if you want to save it. You are putting the info into your Lastpass vault. You have full use of your vault by signing in with your master password and then you can find all of your websites and passwords.
 So since I have and use Lastpass all I had to do when I set up my new computer was to download and install Lastpass, sign in with my master, and visit any of the many websites I need to access and Lastpass would, at my request, fill it in for me.
The second thing I did was download and install Chrome, sign into Google and all of my stuff was at my fingertips. I download and install Mozilla Firefox as a backup browser.
Within 30 minutes I had my new computer up and running looking much like my old one.

As far as pictures, files and folders are concerned I have them backed up in Google Drive (cloud) and on 2 different external hard drives so I do not plan to transfer them to the new computer until wanted or needed.

Over the years I have developed a system that works for me on saving pictures. I can usually remember the approximate year, month or place a particular picture was taken. So now I keep them organized by years such as simply 2017 in my Pictures place. Then I make subfolders for each month (January 2017) of the year and yes I put the year behind the month as well. The way this works when looking for a particular photo is if I have it narrowed down in my mind to a particular year and I am looking at the month of January I know it is most likely a Magnolia Park picture I am looking for. If it is a biketrail picture I know it is April through September etc. It has taken me years to get this perfected. Because each of us has a mind of our own, it stands to reason each person would have to devise their own system. It greatly simplifies your life when you make order out of chaos. It can be fun to wade through an avalanche of unlabeled pictures but it can also be frustrating.

Now if you indeed have read all that you are a dedicated fan! So Congratulations and Thank You


No comments: