Friday, September 29

Another Friday rolls around...

I have an appointment late this afternoon to find out the details about my surgery on the 10th. So Butch had time to walk nine holes of golf and I rode out to Rogers Road. Mickey had asked me about where walnuts were on the trail so I paid close attention today and then sent her this message.
     If you drive out to where 255th street intersects with the trail (near Winkleman's Switch) and look north on the trail you will see an orange flag and there are walnuts there. I paid close attention today and they have put an orange flag near all the walnut trees on the trail. I do not know if that was for safety or harvesting of walnuts. 
If you go out and park on 252nd street near where Murphy's place is, north of the big bridge, it is exactly 0.53 miles to the first nice walnut fall. That would be on the south side of the trestle bridge. If that still seems too far to walk you can pull into Murphy's driveway and follow the trail up to very near the bridge, walk across the bridge and it would be less than a block to the walnuts. Happy Harvest!

As I was returning back to town I saw this apparition coming toward me. It looked like a floating man! He hopped off the front of the bike and then I could see a woman peddling a very decrepit bicycle while carrying a filthy once-white duffle bag over her shoulder. I said to her, "So you think that is going to work for you?" She said, "Oh yeah." They were both in need of some personal hygiene and a large amount of dental work. I would say they had about 3 teeth each and those were dark. I was impressed with her bike riding ability. Balancing a 6 ft. man, even a skinny one on the handlebars of a bike and carrying a fair-sized duffle bag over your shoulder at the same time made her a wonder woman! I wonder where they get their METH. And I wonder where they were headed. They were at the trailhead when I encountered them. In other words, they hadn't made it out of town yet.

No comments: