Saturday, July 18

Hot and Humid

We are not used to it. The heat and humidity are oppressive. I do not care if it makes the corn grow. I do believe they have messed with the genetics of corn to the point it would grow despite anything and everything. They seem to come up with record crops every year despite all circumstances. Before I hear from all you farmers I do know there is a limit.

Colleen and I are still walking every morning. Yesterday, we had decided on a different time to walk, but then it didn't work out so I called her and asked if she was ready and would she come right away. She said yes and yes, walking out the door in the wrong shoes. By the time she reached the trail her feet were hurting but decided to try it despite the pain. It didn't work. We didn't have our phones so she decided to walk directly home from where we were at the time. I said, "Wait. I have my bike at the trailhead so you wait here and I will get my bike, come back and loan you my shoes so you can get home." We wear the same size but my feet are extremely wide and hers are extremely narrow. I can bike in my stockinged feet. It could work. I always wear tennies, but she feels like her feet are in prison if she wears tennies. So she started home with my shoes and I rode home on my bike. I know what it is like to have hurting feet so I jumped in the car and caught up with her to take her the rest of the way home. She said, "A friend in need is a friend indeed." She added, "I always wondered why anyone would want needy friends, but now I know the real meaning of that saying." I should have said but didn't, that it was the first time my shoes had walked without me and I was worried about them. Smileycons! Every day is an adventure.

This morning we noticed the tent camping area by the trailhead was loaded with RAGBRAI people. One guy wandered out of his sleeping bag and started to pee on a tree but noticed us and headed to the restroom. We should post signs on all the trees at eye level for men that say, "Please don't pee on me!" Not that they would pay any attention. Cameras might work better. Guys do that on golf courses too for all you readers that do not realize that ugly fact. Not all guys do it, but way too many of them.

No comments: