Tuesday, July 28

Barb Battles Bugs!


We were invaded by ants, teensy weensy little brown ants that were barely visible. They were in the kitchen all over the counter. When Mickey saw them she said she had never seen such a heavy infestation. I first tried Terro, feeding the little devils all they wanted. After 3 days, I gave up on that and went to google. There were many different solutions. Two of them captured my attention basically because I had the items on hand. Peppermint oil and borax. So then I mulled over the application process. Also, I remembered I had a new product that is supposed to be safe that I have found most effective for keeping mosquitoes at bay and wondered if it would also work for ants.
https://www.simplysoothing.net/bug-soother/natural-insect-repellent-deet-free-for-kids-and-pets/
Bug Soother: The All Natural Bug Repellent

It is an Iowa product. So along toward bedtime,a couple of nights ago, I cut up a coffee filter into strips and sprayed them with bug soother. I then laid the strips all the way around the counter top. Next morning? NO ANTS!!! Or at least they were down to less than 10 hardy survivors! But then I decided to tackle the bigger problem of keeping them from getting in to begin with. I sprinkled borax around all door openings inside and out working it into all cracks and crevices with the broom. This morning I went on the search for bugs, ants or anything resembling them in any way and found not one solitary insect of any kind! I was gobsmacked and pleased.
Of course, I talked to Mickey and Colleen about this on our morning jaunts on the bike trail.

Colleen does this to keep bugs out of her house in Florida and I have written it down so I will remember. She assures me she doesn't have bugs in her house. If this keeps them out in Florida it should certainly work here.
1. Borax all around the outside of the house.
2. Bay leaves in kitchen cupboards.
3. Fresh Rosemary sprigs in the remainder of the house.

I plan to follow her formula. I am so tired of fighting insects in my house.
But I also do not want to poison us!

No comments: