Thursday, March 21

A Run to Mexico and other stuff

Butch and I went to Mexico to pick up the last of the things we had planned to get before we head north. We loaded up on all the meds that cost a pittance there and a fortune here. One of the things we purchased was Jason's gout medicine- alopurinol- a years supply from Mexico cost what a months supply does here. Since we had 18 boxes of it we decided to double it up for ease of transport giving us only 9 boxes to carry. I too have gout on occasion  so I carried that bag. Butch carried some meds for Leo but the boxes were full enough we couldn't double them up...good thing too...more about that later.
After our shopping excursion we went to the Canada Store and Garcia's above it for Panchos and cokes for lunch. We are never disappointed. They were Sooo good.
Scrutiny at the border is still very tight and they mix it up for good measure. Butch and I were in separate lines. Ahead of me in line were two Latino young people in their teens or early twenties. The girl was first and she had a drivers license and was questioned closely and the final words were, " I am giving you a warning. Do not come through here again unless you have a passport." And then the young man tries and all he has is a Social Security card. She asks, "Where were you born?" "Harlingen" and then he said something I could not hear and she said, "I would certainly hope so being born in Harlingen." She then said,  "You have nothing on you proving where you were born, so you will have to go through those doors and talk to the authorities." He did not get through. I have no idea how long the girl waited for him before she gave up.
I step up and she asks what I am bringing back and I say medicine. She says move on and I do. I look over where Butch is standing and the woman checking him through was opening the boxes of meds and counting the packets! Fortunately we had not doubled them up and fortunately she did not run across the one box we had opened to see if we could double them up. I am telling you they are really mixing it up and no one is immune to questioning. If they had checked my gout medicine they would have seen they were doubled up and they would have confiscated them most likely.
Every trip to Nuevo Progreso, Mexico has been an adventure this year, albeit small adventures but adventures none the less.
We keep checking the weather in Iowa to see what the high's and low's are doing and then we pray for a miracle. If we do not see a favorable or at least tolerable forecast before we plan to leave we will delay leaving as it makes more sense to stay here than to venture into the frigidity. Do not worry those of you expecting us, we will let you know if there is a change in plans.

No comments: