Tuesday, January 29

What we eat...

I have been asked on more than one occasion what we eat on South Beach. So for awhile I will bore you with a food diary among other things.
Yesterday-
Breakfast for me-Microwave scrambled egg topped with 1 spoonful of cottage cheese and a crumbled slice of bacon. (The bacon is the precooked kind and I wrap it in a paper towel and micro it for 30 seconds)
Breakfast for Butch- a toasted whole wheat English muffin with a thin coating of peanut butter.

Lunch for us- Lean turkey ham lunch meat wrapped around a thin slice of cheddar cheese and a variety of raw vegetables such as sliced radishes, cucumbers, jicama, celery, green peppers

Supper for us- Church's chicken(a cheat and indulgence) Butch had a breast and I had 2 legs, coleslaw and pinto beans

I had a bad snacking day yesterday because I ate far too many nuts. Almonds both dark chocolate ones and the wasabi and soy ones. Also snuck in too many cashews.

Today- Breakfast
Butch will have the same as yesterday and I did too but this time I skipped the bacon and added a spoonful of salsa
Very tasty!
Lunch: short on time so I grabbed 2 turkey ham slices and wrapped them around a mozzarella stick.
Do not know what Butch had because I wasn't home when he had lunch.

Supper: I had put two browned Pork tenderloins in a crockpot with cream of mushroom soup at noon. ( No plans to eat the soup part and didn't)
And then I made a new recipe of my own and the only thing I can think to call it is South Beach Skillet Casserole.
Ingredients:
1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped small
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped small
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. ground cumin
salt to taste
2 cups sliced Cauliflower
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
1cup low-fat grated cheddar cheese (I used Four Cheese Mexican Blend )
Saute onion, peppers, garlic and cumin for about 5 minutes then add cauliflower and beans and allow to cook through. I also added a handful of fresh cilantro at the end and then pressed all of it down into the skillet, sprinkled cheese on top and waited till it melted.

Maybe it was just me and the time but this really hit the spot for me and I didn't have to turn on the oven on a 90 degree day.

No comments: