Tuesday, May 1

Update


Internet update: Sunday
Butch and I have both been on the Internet this morning. It seemed to work okay for awhile but you cannot rely on it. About the time you are in the middle of something it will either go away or become unworkable. This is pretty much the way it was all last summer. This summer I have decided I will not pay for such bad service. It is looking more and more like we will be doing something different. I went back to the diagnostic page they led me to the other day. I am sure they do not expect you to remember how to get there and what to look for when you do. But I remember. I noticed we had been switched to 3G. It did not say 4G the other day but now it says very clearly ...3G. And they had me check modem speed on two different tech calls. On one call it was 94 and another 109. The tech told me that 80 is the best you can get and 125 is no signal at all. A few minutes ago it was 93. Not much improvement. When it was 94 he told me that was a very iffy situation and that indeed is what we have. I can see the end of the road but it is taking a long time to get there.
Monday morning ...
The end of the road is nearer still. Last night the internet went away and did not come back. Same story this morning . I checked our signal again and it is 98. Today is when I tell them our Internet relationship is finished...kapoot...done! No more contract. 3G, 4G doesn't matter it will not work in this area.

One of my dental implants in my bottom plate needs some attention so we will be making a trip to Atlantic. We have not been there for awhile so it will be a day of visiting with old friends if we can happen to catch them at home. Having lived in Cumberland for nearly 20 years we are very familiar with the area in and around Atlantic. And we like it. We like to have lunch at The Farmer's Kitchen. They have had national attention for their pies but all their other food is mighty tasty as well. We also like the Chinese restaurant downtown but I know they are not open on Mondays. It is actually our favorite Chinese restaurant of all the places we have ever tried anywhere. A Chinese family owns it and you do not get the factory stuff you do in other Chinese restaurants. The Mr. and Mrs. prepare all the food themselves.
We had a cold and rainy weekend so did not do much. The promise is for better stuff to come although stormy. In the midwest we are always treated to a variety of weather.
We did get to Atlantic and back. Butch wanted to do a quick trip so he could get the ladder secured and I needed to get my Internet debaucle resolved so we did not visit with friends as I had planned. We did run into Bob and Sandy Sheilds and enjoyed a nice visit with them.
Connie Jones called while I was in Atlantic telling me they were headed for Jefferson!! So we passed somewhere on the road as they live south of Atalantic. We will be in Atlantic next Monday and plan to meet Connie for lunch since we missed her today. Darn it anyway!!
Next chapter on the internet... The gal I talked to today said the only thing she can see that no one had tried yet was a new simm card. It is a tiny little card that fits in the device that identifies us from all the other devices. She said it was very, very rare for them to go bad but she wanted to rule it out. So how long will this take ,I ask. She said 2 to 3 working days unless I want to overnight it for $12.99. I said no because I refuse to put one more red dime into this situation. She talked to a supervisor and they are overnighting it at their cost. Will have it by 3 tomorrow afternoon...and she will call me back. I said you are now the 6th person to tell me they will call me back and 5 of them have not but we will pretend you will for now. She said no one has called you back because no one had a resolution to the problem. I said I know but that isn't making me feel any better. And that is why I want out of my contract.

So Butch now has the ladder secured. It looks like crap but if she tries to get up the ladder two things could happen. One being her weight would break the boards and she would fall 4-5 feet onto rock and the second being if she actually makes it onto the board to go higher there are screws coming through that could feel very bad on bare knees. It is a pain in the butt but we can not have her on our roof doing God knows what.
Tuesday, May 1, 2012
I had to check the Internet of course and we still did not have it...and then for some unknown reason it let me in for about 5 minutes. I was even able to read one message and send a reply. Thanks Barb Wilson for the suggestion of bungeeing a lawn chair to the ladder. I do believe that is a good suggestion and I do not know why we didn't think of it.
I have to sit tight until I get the new simm card because we have to be here for delivery so you will not see this until it gets here and works or I leave Butch in charge and go out to the other Brooker's.
I received another 5 minute window of Internet so I am quickly trying to get this posted...more later!

No comments: