Sunday, July 4

Mexican Bean Salad

Yesterday after getting our walk in we rested a good share of the day. Along toward evening we meandered over to the Pavilion where some of the other residents of the RV park were gathered. There were some of those little eclairs and cream puffs you can buy in most stores these days just sitting there calling my name. I have to pass them by in the store because I would eat the whole box if they were in my freezer. But there they were and free for the taking. I ate far too many of them and they were good!
My blood sugar otherwise known as BS showed my transgression this morning. Then later we enjoyed Hillman's fireworks from our kitchen table. It was a beautiful sight, framed so perfectly by the window and one we have not enjoyed that closely for many years. After the fireworks we watched a few minutes of a Ma and Pa Kettle movie before drifting off to sleep. “I'll get that later, Ma” has been one of Butch's mantras for many years.
Also yesterday I made a new recipe and I kept slipping back to the fridge for another bowl of it. I love the stuff! The only change I made to the recipe is the salt. I only used a fraction of the amount called for. It is a keeper.



Mexican Bean Salad
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Servings: 8
"The dressing is absolutely sensational in this bean salad - so many taste sensations. It
begins with oil and vinegar, but then it gets fancy. Let 's see, there 's lemon and lime
juice, garlic, cilantro, sugar, cumin, hot sauce and chili powder to taste."
INGREDIENTS:
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and
drained
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans,
drained and rinsed
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels
1 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 clove crushed garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 dash hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, combine beans, bell peppers, frozen corn, and red onion.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, lime juice, lemon juice,
sugar, salt, garlic, cilantro, cumin, and black pepper. Season to taste with hot sauce
and chili powder.
3. Pour olive oil dressing over vegetables; mix well. Chill thoroughly, and serve cold.


No comments: