Sunday, September 26

Moles, Voles, Skunks, Ground Squirrels, or Gophers

 We were invaded but not sure by what. We did know that action was called for because there were new holes daily. So I looked to our in-house expert Mr. Google and found that the plan should not be to kill the little diggers but make our yard an undesirable place to spend the winter. Several methods were mentioned but I chose ammonia, basically because I had some on hand. I cut up strips of rags about 2" by 10 inches, poured ammonia into a disposable paper cup, dropped in my cloth strips taking them out with some tongs, and stuffed the dripping wet strips into every entry hole I could find and I found plenty! I tamped them in with a piece of re-rod. I then walked around the yard and stepped on every spot of mounded-up grass or soil I could find. It took more applications and running out of ammonia, I used peppermint oil the last time. At one point in the process, we noticed that the rags had been removed in 3 locations. That is when I used peppermint oil. It has now been over a week with no new humps or holes. We are feeling slightly relieved but will remain vigilant. Our neighbors on each side of us will not care one wit if they invade their yard. They are not the yard care people of the year or even the day!

Life is one adventure after another!

No comments: