Monday, August 10

Keep up with Technology?

Or anything else! When I was a teenager I vowed to keep up with all the latest music. My mother was woefully ignorant of all of it and I certainly wasn't going to let that happen to me! Well, it did.

In 1998 or thereabouts when my good friend Mickey got me hooked on computers and the Internet I vowed I was going to keep up with all the new developments and learn as much as I possibly could and I did...to a degree. But somewhere along the line, I got behind a little and then I got WAY behind. Now a great deal of it is very foggy.

A while back Google offered me a Google Mini Nest for free. So I took it. I had a vague notion of what they were and I really didn't see any need for one but thought, "What the heck!" 


What does a Google Nest Mini do? Google Home, Nest Mini, and Home Max are all Wi-Fi speakers that double up as smart home control hubs and personal assistants for the entire family. You can use them to playback entertainment throughout your home, manage everyday tasks, and ask Google things you want to know.Jul 31, 2020

It arrived and I set it up and it gathered dust. This was while we were in Texas. So I packed it away when we headed North and moved it into the house. On a whim one day I set it up as the Bedroom Speaker. And when we were ready to sleep I would say, "Okay Google, play relaxing music for 20 minutes." And sure enough, it would happen. Then when Gary visited and we were playing cards we would say, "Okay Google play some Bluegrass at volume 8." Gary and Butch like Bluegrass, me less so. And if we wanted to know something, like the mileage to South Texas, we could simply ask and get the answer. It is amazing how often that happens.

So I decided to get an additional one for the pool hall, our pool hall, the one currently being built. Yes, our pricy Internet connection will function there and if it proves to be weak we can get a booster. I have checked it out and do not believe we will have a problem.

Then this message below passed my way so I set it up and picked out some radio stations we might like.

Online Radio Box

 https://www.thundercloud.net/infoave/new/online-radio-box-listen-to-radio-stations-from-all-around-the-world-for-free/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thundercloud%2FIapJ+%28Cloudeight+InfoAve+Computer+Tips+%29

Here is the list we can ask the Google Mini Nest to play for us.

Bluegrass Jamboree

Classic Country 1630

San Francisco 70's hits

Classic Rock Florida

Oldies  94.9

Radio Classical

Radio Tunes Meditation

Hippie Soul Cafe

NPR

These are all radio stations in the USA. I am sure there are many more I could find but the problem of remembering what you need to ask to get the desired one becomes a factor.

This is my post of the day!

No comments: