Monday, May 11

On the first day of travel...

My true love and I headed out the gate at 7:30 AM. We had prepped everything the day before including buying diesel fuel at the Circle K on Val Verde Road for $1.92. Butch will remember that fact for a very long time. Considering the circumstances, traffic was heavy. I was rather surprised, with Covid-19 and all and the care that everyone had been taking. It was Mother's Day and perhaps that had something to do with it. But shouldn't you want to keep Mom safe too? Later in the day while parked in the Walmart parking lot at Marble Falls, I went into the store all masked and gloved to get Butch some ice cream as a treat for his good driving. In there, was a frantic young woman on the phone telling a friend, " I want to get her something special and I don't want her to think I was picking up something at the last minute." That is exactly what she was doing! Gave me a chuckle...
There were only about 1 in 20 people wearing masks. I did not feel comfortable in the crowded store as no one seemed to have a clue about distancing. It seems the ones who do wear masks think that is all they need to do. I am afraid there are going to be many quite surprised when more get sick and die. I think all we have done so far is perhaps slow down the process.

Butch was tired when we got there and we continued listening to the audiobook, "The Dutch House" read by Tom Hanks. It was a good one and held our interest. I would give it 5 stars. We finished it today(Monday) And started "Valentine". I understand it is a popular book right now. We are not far enough into it yet to share an opinion.
My son Gary recommended one to me I plan to get soon. "Hiding in Plain Sight" written by a Missouri woman.
Our reading has picked up tremendously since the "Great Fall" and Covid-19. Life, in general, has slowed down and I like it.

No comments: