Thursday, June 11

Cousin Donnie

 We went to Missouri for a fast trip. My cousin Donnie Zimmerle passed away suddenly. Two weeks ago he was diagnosed with cancer and opted out of treatment. His passing was a big surprise. Donnie's Dad, Jack, and my Mom, Fern were brother and sister and the two youngest of the original 7 Zimmerle siblings. Donnie and I were born in the same year. I suppose others called him Don but he will always be Donnie to me. Donnie was a great guy, always a smile on his face. We were born in the era when Sundays meant being at Grandma Zimmerle's for dinner. The cousin's were always there too. Let's see there were 5 in Jack's branch, 4 in Harold's, 5 in Phil's, 2 in Vivian's and 4 in Fern's at the time so that is a bunch (20) of cousin's. Two of the original 7, Ray and Mae, did not have children.  We played a variety of games while the adults sat around the kitchen table talking.  We have been out of touch, other than Facebook, for many years so I did not know many people in attendance. There was one little girl I would guess her to be 8 or 9 and she cried nearly the whole time we were there. She was inconsolable although many were trying. She seemed sincerely grief-stricken. I am guessing she might have been a granddaughter or great-granddaughter. She left an impression on me.

No comments: