Monday, December 30

Forgot Crafts

I forgot crafts today...and I really did forget. Butch's pool partner Don Louks  got a Kindle and his computer skills amounted to playing solitaire. I am one who can get excited about showing someone the wonders of technology, at least the ones I understand and I thought what better type of day to get settled in with a new student with a new Kindle. Thus the crafters taking down the Christmas tree was the furthest thing from my mind...honestly.
Don is well on his way to having a good time with his Kindle Fire having a library of about 12 books all free from www.bookbub.com. Add to that a few solitaire games and he is looking at many hours of entertainment on rainy days.

What's for supper on a rainy day?
Hamburger Soup

Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour
Servings: 10


"'I can't wait for chilly weather just so I can make this hearty soup!' notes Sandra Koch from Elyria, Ohio. 'I came across the recipe a few years ago, and my family fell in love with it. 'You'll love it, too...it's priced at a mere 68 cents a bowl."
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
2 cups diced onion (optional)
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup stick margarine
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
DIRECTIONS:
1.
In a large saucepan or soup kettle, cook the beef, onions, carrots, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in broth, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
2.
In another saucepan, melt margarine over medium-low heat. Stir in flour until smooth. cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until mixture turns golden brown. Carefully stir into soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I threw in a couple chunks of velveeta instead of the flour paste. I followed the recipe with that exception. It was quite delicious.

No comments: