Monday, November 19

Thanksgiving Week

The forecast for Thursday is 85 degrees. Now we have enjoyed warm temperatures in Iowa on Thanksgiving. I remember one in particular when we all went for a walk after dinner wearing light jackets. I also remember one where we made it home from our travels on icy roads. But 85 degrees is warm enough for a dip in the pool. We just might do that too if it isn't too crowded.
We have been coming here long enough now that I am sure it would feel strange if we were in Iowa where it isn't so warm.
I am becoming as tired of the black Friday commercials as I was of the political ads. It is ridiculous and such a travesty of both the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. When I was a child we received one Santa gift and one gift from each of the family members. If that was all a child received these days they would feel impoverished. How many of the gifts you received as a child do you hold a clear memory. I remember a watch and I still have it. But mostly they all melted together with me remembering the anticipation more than the event. The memories are the best and most lasting gifts of those years.
And now we are here making different memories...

No comments: