Avalanches! Tornados! Today is one of those days when thoughts of what I want to do keep popping into my head. I am in the midst of a craft project. It is fun, and I feel very good about it. But then I saw this opportunity to read a book by a local author on Kindle, and I thought ‘Oh yes, I want to do that!' And then I thought about my friend who I met in mysterious ways and what I could write about that! If I don’t get it from my head to print, it could easily get lost somewhere between my ears.
How we met. First off, I have known of her nearly my entire life. I knew her name. I knew her sister. And that pretty well sums it up. I found myself sitting in our RV alone and feeling very sorry for myself. Butch and I had started our RVing full-time plan. I was feeling I had been planted somewhere so he could go play golf while I was left to my own plan without a plan. I was in my hometown, where I had not been for 20 years or more. After 20 years, most of the people I used to know have left town or are otherwise occupied. You don’t just pop in on someone you have not seen in nearly forever and say I am here to visit!
And then this friend I did not know as a friend knocked on my door! The other day, we both decided we could not remember how we connected. I gave it some serious thought and remembered. Our husbands were golfing together. At least that's what we surmise.
We had RVing in common. So now, when we came back to Jefferson, I had a connection. We stayed in touch in lots of ways; we walked the bike trail every morning at 7:00 for a few years, we emailed, I blogged, she wrote columns, we would talk on the phone, and 2 hours would pass in a heartbeat. It got to the point we both hesitated to call because we knew it would be lengthy. I think our record is over 3 hours!
What brought all of this to mind happened yesterday. I was doing my early morning walk, and she spotted me while driving by and pulled to the curb. A train was going by, and it was Sunday, so traffic was nonexistent. I am guessing we talked for 15 minutes or more, and then she came to my house, where we continued the conversation.
These kinds of friends are few and far between. I have a few. I think you are very lucky if you have even 1!
And now I can get back to beading!
No comments:
Post a Comment