Thursday, October 17

Tough to Keep Track

 For instance, I had a visit from a long-lost cousin of mine on my father's side. My father was adopted at 3 months old by Sam and Anna Brock, mainly because his mother, Pearl Beason Van Horn passed away. My birth grandfather was a twin, Walter Van Horn. His twin brother was Wesley Van Horn and my cousin Denise Bush is in the Wesley line. We had a great visit Denise and I. She had arranged a visit to the museum so I went along. We learned that southern Greene County was a big coal mining area and 5000 people called SOUTH Greene County home at one time. Our great uncle, Billy Van Horn led a rescue mission with his sled dog Buddy to get supplies to the people in the southern part of our county during the famous blizzard of 1936. 

We then bopped out to the cemetery and I showed Denise where Pearl Van Horn was buried. I learned a lot on that serendipitous day!

My intention a few days ago was to share the above information. 

Today is "last minute get ready to leave" time. We have the Pool Hall all tucked in for the winter. Foodstuffs are whittled down to nearly nothing. Karla and Devon stopped for a visit last night and that helped, along with the fact that we had not seen either of them for a long time. It was good to catch up.

I am doing laundry on clothes and bedding today. Butch has nearly all the things he needs to do before morning done.

Internet will be off and on for us until we arrive in South Texas and that might take a full week. So till next time!!

No comments: