Saturday, October 5

Ancestry Sale

I saw an ad for DNA testing on Ancestry.com so Butch and I submitted our DNA and we received the results yesterday. This gives us something to do when it is raining but I am sure it is going to slow up the moving process.
Butch and I both thought we were mostly German and it seems we are both mostly not! Butch is 71% English and I am 79% English. I have 16% Scottish and Irish with a smidgeon of Norway and Sweden thrown in. You think you know what your mama told you but you may be off base just a bit.

My biggest surprise so far is connecting with my paternal father's side. My father was adopted when he was 3 months old by Sam and Anna Brock. His birth name was Van Horn. I grew up knowing that my father's name was Francis Duane Brock but I found one entry that had his middle initial as W so I wondered if perhaps his birth name was actually Francis Walter Van Horn. I wondered specifically because his father's name was Walter. Perhaps Sam and Anna changed it or perhaps it was just an error. I knew my paternal birth Grandfather Walter Van Horn was a twin and his brother's name was Wesley and when I checked close matches on DNA I located cousins on Wesley's side. I have contacted them through Ancestry.com so we will see if it results in any more info. Just that quickly it became exciting.

My paternal grandfather's marriage info. Good grief!! I just looked up Franklin Township. It is COOPER IOWA! Butch was born in Cooper. So was my mother and now I can add my paternal grandfather. Cooper has played a significant role in both of our lives.



And now back to the moving process!

No comments: