Wednesday, January 30

Health Issue

As most of you know I have been struggling with sinus issues pretty much ever since we arrived last fall. Even had a full-fledged cold thrown in the mix. As I thought about the issue it went way back to 2016 when I went into the clinic in Jefferson for allergy testing and it came up zip/nix/nada/ no allergies. I was very surprised! They diagnosed me at that time with Chronic Rhinitis. I have a problem with that word Chronic. To me, it means 'deal with it'. Things did clear up and I had a problem on occasion but not often. Until this year and in South Texas. There are LOTS of allergies here and in fact, we are considered the allergy capital of the nation so I naturally thought I was allergic to something here that was not a factor in Iowa and it could still be true I suppose.
There are lots of ads on TV for sinus clinics here and since my condition was not getting better but in fact worse I decided to contact one of them. I ended up with an appointment yesterday at the South Texas Sinus Institute. They are connected with the McAllen Medical complex.
(http://www.southtexassinusinstitute.com/testimonials/we-solve-sinus-problems/)
When I read a list of symptoms of sinus issues I was surprised to find a few I had been experiencing without realizing they were sinus related. Fatigue, irritability, concentration to name three. The reason I made the appointment was severe headaches and everything getting worse every time I went outdoors or smelled something strong and unusual. I was pretty much completely plugged on the left side.
So yesterday I found out through x-ray's and CT scan that I had a very serious sinus infection and a deviated septum and probably other things. Dr. Vincent F. Honrubia, F.A.C.S. said it was not going to get better on its own. May get temporarily relieved but it would return. That has been my experience.
So I am scheduled for Septoplasty, Turbinate reduction and Balloon sinuplasty as soon as I get clearance from my heart doctor. It is in the works I hope and will be checking it out to make sure. As it stands now it will take place on February 14th. It is not as serious as it may sound. My appointment is in the early morning and I will be home before noon. I am ready to have my life back. Walking, biking, photography and the rest of everything!

No comments: