Sunday, October 1

Before Surgery

I had an appointment with Dr. Stephanie Morgan, my surgeon, on Friday to learn of the particulars of the surgery on the 10th. So now I am on information overload and busily making lists so I can remember it all. It will take place at Methodist Hospital in downtown DesMoines. It is a very long surgery. I must be at the hospital at 5:30 AM. The downside is not much sleep. The upside is there won't be much traffic at that time of day. Surgery will begin at 8:00 AM or thereabouts and will take 4-6 hours, 3 hours in recovery room and back in a hospital room at around supper time. Very long day for Butch. She even said it is much harder on family than the patient. 24 to 36 hours in the hospital after the surgery. So may not be home until Thursday or Friday depending on how things go.
She emphasized that there will be a full 6 weeks of recovery. No leaving early for Texas. My 6-week appointment to get dismissed to make the trip is November 20th. I am guessing we will be on the road on November 21st if Butch can make it work. He will have all the duty of loading up for the trip.
Butch will be in charge of the phone during this period, so if things do not go smoothly keep that in mind. He will have a training session or two beforehand.

There will also be a gap in computer and blog entries. The way I have been lately you should be used to it by now.

So we are hoping for a warm fall...

No comments: