Monday, August 24

Phone Issues

Phone died Saturday while taking pictures at the fire. Black screen, nothing worked, would not charge, appeared to be totally dead. So Sunday, not being afraid of online tech support I visited the chat line on the Verizon website. Note to self: Never do that again. I chatted with a guy named Dave. He asked me a few questions, I answered them and he pronounced my phone dead and sent me to a website to pick out a new several hundred dollar smartphone. I declined. I decided I would forgo the smartphone and revert back to our old phone that isn't so smart. I hated to do that because I have become accustomed to the camera and the GPS. But for what we pay a month and we still have a contract, I refused to spend several hundred dollars for a phone. The one that died is only 15 months old for crying out loud! So I laid awake last night trying to figure out what to do and made the decision to use the old phone if they were unable to help me at the Verizon Store, use Butch's smart Tracfone as our main phone at least until our contract ran out, and make a decision then.
So Saturday we went to Perry to the Verizon store and missed their closing by one minute. Vowed to not return but it is a long way to Des Moines so relented and stopped in Perry with the intention of going on if I did not like what I heard.
I walked in, handed her my phone, told her my sad tale and we chatted a second or two about options and she said, "oh, your phone came on!" I said how did you do that??!! She said she held down the power button AND the plus volume button at the same time and held it for 30 seconds. She said that when a smartphone gets overloaded it will shut itself down. And I know that was what happened for more than one reason. What I didn't know was how to correct it...but now I do.
Not once did "Dave" suggest I try doing the two button maneuver.
Another lesson learned!!

No comments: