Thursday, December 31

Lately

This was taken a few minutes ago. A cold front has passed through and it is currently 46 degrees. Supposed to be a high of 60 today. When I went out to get my cream out of the dorm fridge I noticed there was about an inch of water in my rain bucket. I have a bucket that I collect rainwater to water the two pots I take back and forth each season. The rain bucket was bone dry yesterday and I dumped out leaves that had fallen into it. The trees are mostly bare now. We are in the season when they drop and in about 6 weeks we will see new buds and shortly thereafter the new leaf growth will be complete.

I just named our squirrel "Daisy". You know, like upsy-daisy? We decided to continue feeding her for a couple of reasons. The birds were not eating it except for one grackle who has a special relationship with "Daisy" . The grackle is too large to get on the ball so he sits under the ball and makes calling noises to the squirrel, Daisy shows up and the grackle eats what she drops. We have watched this happen many times.
Daisy and the grackle will both be disappointed when we run out of seed because we do not plan to buy more.



 

No comments: