Wednesday, October 30

Google Fi update

I switched from Verizon to Google Fi before leaving Iowa. I was a bit concerned about coverage but not enough to change my mind. The initial draw was that you only pay for what you use. The initial monthly expense is $20 with an additional $10 for each gigabyte used with a ceiling of 6 GB. Above 6 GB is unlimited data. When we are on WiFi, free or otherwise we use our phone data very little. Also, Google Fi uses 3 carriers (US Cellular, T-Mobile and Sprint) so the chance of not having coverage is minimal. and that is indeed what we have found to be true. In Jefferson, we are covered by US Cellular and in Alamo Texas, we are covered by T-Mobile and Sprint. On the trip down we had one tiny little area in the Arbuckle Mountains without coverage. It lasted at most about a mile. So that is all good. Our first bill from Google Fi was $20 and our second one was $25 and some cents.

So with Google Fi and my new phone, Pixel 3a I can make it a hotspot for the Internet at no additional cost. Yes, it will take the data above 6 GB quickly if we use it as much as we did in Iowa on Telecom. But the total cost will be even less. So not being very cognizant as to how to get all that done I started into it yesterday. Why bother? There is free WiFi in the park and it works satisfactorily in October and part of November most of the time. When everyone arrives it goes to hell. The owners of the park (Wilder) are discontinuing park-wide WiFi next July as they have found it too expensive and non-functioning most of the time. They do have an alternative with a company called CABO and it will cost the residents who choose to use it. 3 levels-$49.95-$79.95- $99.95. I would have chosen the middle one had I decided to go that way. However yesterday I was able to get the pixel_3a hotspot set up and working on my computer and the smart TV and it is wonderful!! Works every bit as smoothly as my expensive Internet connection in Jefferson. So now you know what I have been up to. The next post will be about Butch's latest project.

No comments: