Wednesday, July 13

Balloon Flowers and more

 Keri had some balloon flowers at her place and I admired them. Gleaned some seed and apparently planted them in the front flower bed and promptly forgot them. A few weeks ago I spotted this plant and did not know if it was a flower or weed so left it alone and was very surprised when it flowered out to be a balloon flower.
Below is how it will look in years to come after getting firmly established. I will recognize it next time. It is a beauty!

This morning's ride was one adventure after another. As I neared the intersection before the big bridge there was a farmer man walking down the road. I slowed and then noticed the young cow alongside the trail. The cow tried to come my way but didn't know how to deal with me so I crowded it a little and it turned back making its way left avoiding me and the farmer. He followed it, I said, "Good morning" and he said the grass is always greener over here. His cows are out frequently. So on I went and reaching my turn-around point I decided to go on. 
It was more humid than I like but the sun was shining and the wind created by the ride felt cool. So I continued to the next crossroad, 265th street or as I call it Rogers Road. Roger Conant lives nearby and he is a cousin by marriage to me.
The ride from there to the bridge is my number one favorite section of the entire Raccoon River Valley Trail. It is more exquisite than words can express and all downhill! The trail is canopied with beautiful trees and the summer flowers are in bloom with various shades of blues and yellows. It is my church as the song goes.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWQ25O-Mcg
 I loved every second of it!


 As I came to the big bridge there were two cows and a calf on the trail blocking the north exit of the bridge! There was no way past them and their choices were not the best either. So I kept coming toward them dinging my little bike bell and hollering at them. They finally saw me as a threat and turned off the trail. It was a steep descent for them and I heard one of them fall but I went on my way. They were near their pasture when they reached the bottom and what comes up must go down. I think some long overdue fence repair is in order. I see cows loose near the trail more often than deer!
The remainder of my ride was pleasant but uneventful.

A couple of days ago our granddaughter Ann had some pictures of her and her husband Anthony on a special date. Anthony is stationed in California. They certainly make a beautiful couple.





No comments: