Saturday, June 20

Light at the end of the tunnel?

I see that light a coming...maybe. I am getting closer to having all my chores done around here. I am working on a second flower/rock bed behind the garage. It will be one we see from the 3 season room. If I had the energy to put in two full days I would be finished, I say optimistically. At any rate, I feel better about things and may concede and leave something for next spring or summer.

Have you ever had a wren growl at you? We have a house wren in a birdhouse outside our back door. I can see it quite well and when I looked the other day Mr/Mrs Wren looked at me with one eye and the feathers under the chin puffed all up and there was a growling sound! No doubt about the message. It was not a welcoming one.

Our rain forest summer has blessed us with a gazillion or more mosquitos.  I apply bug repellant but still come inside and a few hours later notice more new bites. Then I want to growl like the wrens do.

Butch has been helping me with some of my projects as well as his own. (the antique mower) His project isn't going so well right now, but he is not ready to give up.

Yesterday Butch and I did a short tour. We went out to Spring Lake to see how many campers there were and the place was nearly full. It is a county park between Jefferson and Grand Junction Iowa. http://www.mycountyparks.com/county/Greene/Park/Spring-Lake-Park.aspx
Spring Lake holds many childhood memories for me because my family went for a dip in the lake almost every hot summer night. We would wait anxiously for Dad to get off work and then pile in the car to go to the lake. This was in the days of no air conditioning so it was a blessed relief to be in the water. After we had all cooled off we would get into our clothes and on the way back to town hold our swimsuits out the window to dry. It is a wonder we didn't lose them, but as I remember it we never did.
The lake and park are much more sophisticated than when I was a child. Some things are the same, like the skating rink and shelter houses but now they have camping and the grounds are maintained. It was more primitive in the 50's.

Yesterday on our tour, Butch and I came home the back way and stopped at a rock pile I had spotted at the edge of a farm field. We loaded up a few rocks and I have my eye on more. If we take it a bit at a time, it might not be so daunting.

So as you can tell not much of note going on here but we are having the best time ever not doing much.


No comments: