Monday, December 31

The New Year is Here or just about.

Four steady travel days. Some long, some shorter. Today we went to a small town in northern Iowa to visit Dan Kelley, son of Butch's sister Marlene and her husband Bernard. Dan is in his final round of battle with a very ugly cancer, sarcoma. They have made great strides with what they used to refer to as the big C. Almost like you could not say the whole word out loud. Well, sarcoma is still like that, an ugly word you never want to hear and a kind they have had only a modicum of success in curing. That is the kind of cancer Dan has been battling for over a year. Everything has been done that could be done and he is losing the war. He is surrounded by friends and family who love him and tell him so. He has a beautiful wife, Sara and four grown children, Melissa, Elizabeth, Adam and John who along with their spouses have given him 5 beautiful grandbabies. We were fortunate enough to get here and see him this last time before his passing. He will leave a big hole in many lives.

Bill and Jo and Butch and I went to Terril, Ia and back today. On the way back I called my friend Denise and said, "Where is the party tonight?" She said it is at our house at 6:30 and it is too bad you are going to miss it. I said we will be there because we are only a few miles out of town. So tonight we were able to go to a gathering of our Jefferson friends for new years eve. And I fell off my diet wagon for the first time. I will get right back on that diet wagon in the morning. It was great to see everyone.

We are toying with the idea of heading back south in the morning as we have done everything we came back to do. I would not say it is set in cement just yet. I haven't got the final word.
I have been taking pictures right along and will post them when I return. Not easy working with the Kindle Fire and other peoples computers for some chores. Like photos and blogging.

No comments: