Wednesday, March 10

Written Tuesday, March 9th, 2004
My birthday turned out to be quite a day! First off I got a virus, more exactly a worm on the computer and spent the better part of the day getting rid of it. Yes, I know how I got it and it is just too embarrassing to admit how it happened. But it is gone now.
Anyway I was in the midst of getting rid of Worm-Bagel J when I heard a rustling sound on the plastic runner we have to protect the carpet. I looked down to see an 8-inch lizard looking back at me. Angel was in the screen room so I hollered at her and she came running, spotted the lizard and took after it. It was too quick thus escaping the cat claws and run for cover under the chair in which I was sitting! So I moved, deciding that Angel needed more room to do her magic. The lizard escaped Angels grasp and sought refuge under the dash. Butch was returning home from the flea market about this time so I suggested he do his "manly" duty and rescue either Angel, me or the lizard or perhaps all three. He failed to see this as HIS duty. Go figger! There was no way to retrieve the lizard at this point so we hoped he would find his own way to freedom. Time passes. I was working around the drivers seat when I glanced over and spotted our new reptilian resident. So we devised a plan involving two ice cream buckets and a broom. I said, " I'll poke him with the broom handle and when he runs your way trap him in the bucket." Butch said, " No, I will poke him and when he runs your way YOU trap him in the bucket." Butch poked him my way first and miracles happen and I trapped him under the bucket. We slid a flat piece of plastic under the upturned bucket enabling us to transport the lizard to his new digs about a block away. He lives to eat bugs another day. So my birthday this year will be known as the day of the lizard...and the worm.
On Sunday we went for a pontoon ride on the Rio Grande with friends Marge and Dave Scott. Pleasant Day-Pleasant ride.
Monday after golf Butch went to see Dr. Penalo about a sore throat. Now taking antibiotics for that condition and feeling much better. I must say he is never a wimp. He is like the energizer bunny, just keeps on going. When I am sick I lay down.
Today we went to the Santa Ana Wildlife refuge and rode their seven-mile bike trail. Very nice ride and we should have ridden it twice but it was getting plenty warm by the time we finished the first seven.
This afternoon we went to Mexico and Butch got a haircut. He got a "butch" and it is very short.

No comments: