Wednesday, September 2

Let's go for a walk!

 When I lived on Cedar Street, I had it all figured out. From the house to the mile marker on the bike trail was a block or two over a mile. So to the mile marker and home again was easy, a bit over two miles. 

It has been a bit of a struggle to figure it out since moving across town, but I had a breakthrough this morning. It was too dark to start off outdoors, so I made the seven trips around inside that equal one mile and then went outdoors to do my usual trip. I clocked the whole business, and it was the same amount of time it always was on Cedar. In other words, a bit over two miles.

I have been committed to walking for more years than I can count. I assume if you know me very well at all that isn't news. There have been times and circumstances that have kept me from walking, but the way my day goes and how I feel always brings me back to it. 

There are things that make it easier. Walking with a friend, the time just flies. It isn't always easy to find one who will commit. Set a time and a place every day to meet, and then you don't want to let your walking partner down. Or you can listen to an audiobook. I only wear one earbud so I can still hear what is happening in my surroundings. Many times I continue to listen once I get home.

Intending to lose weight by walking is not a good reason to start. Results are not quick or perhaps impossible. I have talked to many who have made that a goal without results. More energy, sleeping better, and a general overall good feeling are all better and often immediate results. Now, if you are a lifelong couch potato, take it slow, maybe starting off with a block. If you don't, you may not believe a word I have written.

I used to take my camera. I can always find something to take a picture of. Your phone can work too.


Trail pics: A favorite of my trail pics. I was very close.



On the trail

Taken this year!



No comments: